Want to get involved? Click Here
We meet Friday, August 3rd at Clark Park, Unceded Coast Salish territories (Commercial and 14th)
6:00 PM – Come with slogans to put on our brand new signs! Materials provided.
6:30 PM – Land Recognition & Welcome. We ask those with mobility aids, scooters, wheelchairs, children and those who move at a slower pace to move up front to set the pace for the march.
6:45 PM – March from Clark Park to Victoria Park (Victoria and Grant)
7:00 PM – Performances from our amazing local trans artists!
The march operates in a spirit of inclusion and solidarity with two-spirit people who may or may not also claim identities such as trans and genderqueer.
We acknowledge that this march is taking place on unceded Coast Salish Territories. This march stands in solidarity with indigenous people’s resistance to colonization, acknowledging the erasure and injustice of colonization towards two-spirit people.
Since 1998, trans, genderqueer and two-spirit people in Vancouver have marched before Pride weekend as a political protest and celebration of gender diversity.
Organized by a gender-diverse grassroots collective of volunteers, the 2018 Trans, Two Spirit, Genderqueer, Intersex March is an opportunity for trans and genderqueer people to be celebrated through an assembly of people in joy and solidarity in order to loudly and proudly express their pride!
We are beautiful, brilliant, creative, strong and resilient! We have diverse gender definitions and expressions! Our bodies are beautiful in all forms!
The march is also a platform for expression of outrage with ongoing issues including:
– Racial discrimination, the intersection of racism and homophobia, and the struggle to stand up for bipoc trans lives!
– Expressing outrage at police violence against trans people, especially black trans people!
– Calling out the inclusion of police in pride!
– Violence, bullying and erasure from social histories!
– Denial of explicit legislative protections against discrimination, harassment and more!
– Institutional failure to recognize and respect gender identities and accord us the dignity we deserve!
– The lack of adequate affordable housing, free from discrimination and harassment!
– The criminalization of sex workers!
– Access to harassment free employment!
Water and snacks will be made available.
We hope to see you lovely people there! ❤